Home > Message Boards > General Discussion >
Singing tips - vibrato Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Blue Thunder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:45 pm   Post subject: Singing tips - vibrato Reply with quote

Hey there, I've been getting singing lessons for about a year and a half now, and I'm happy with how my voice is developing in strength and range, but I have no vibrato. I hate the way I sing sustained notes, because my voice does nothing except just hold the note, nothing else. Does anyone know any tips to get a vibrato in my voice?

Thanks
View members profile Send private message

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Thunder.

As for your vibrato, there really is nothing you can do if you simply do not have one. Some people's voices are just not built for it.

Often, when a voice has obviously been forced into a vibrato, it sounds awkward and fake.

The best thing you can do for your voice (and for your audience) is to find songs that don't force you to go into vibrato.

The key to being a good performer is finding the perfect piece for you.

I hope I helped, Thunder.
Kioseth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I disagree a little with the previous reply. Vibrato is a tone quality that can be acquired for almost any voice, with the right training. I'm not a teacher, but had the exact same problem as you about a year ago.

I had a friend help me out, and to my suprise I have gotten a vibrato. Still needs work but i have it.

I was told to make sure my mouth is open, wide. The sound has to come from your stomach, because then the throat will automatically vibrate. The resonance caused will give the 'vibrato'

The hard part, especially because I cannot 'show' you, is to not strain the notes. Practice makes permenant.

Age is a crucial thing too. I'm not sure of yours, but if you are under 18 just give it some time. For most men/women voices don't mature until 20/18. Some people won't have their final voice til mid twenties.

Keep working at it, and if you still don't get one, then I agree with the other replier. Just pick songs that don't require long sustains or a broadway tonality.

Hope this helps!
orlande

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing is to never push it to hard or you could do some lasting damage. When I started singing about 5 years ago i was told to sing with my hand on my diaphram, always try to get the sound to come from there and not your throat, otherwise it sounds forced. Also sing in front of a mirror when u practice, to make sure you dont wobble your chin, this is BAD technique. But with vibrato, you have to be patient, if your ment to have it, ull get it, but otherwise you just have to stick it out. REMEMBER! dont force, you'll lose it if you do!
Blue Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your replies everyone icon_smile.gif I'll definitely keep working on it. I am actually 22, but I kinda have a youngish sounding voice, and I havent been singing all that long. So maybe with giving it more time to mature, and practice to keep strengthening my voice, who knows what might happen.

If anyone has anything else they would like to add, please keep replying icon_smile.gif
agreatguy6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

but the real question is: Do you really WANT vibs?
I mean, it's great if you have it, but clarity of tone is foremost. Sometimes when some ppl vib, I get confused as to what they're saying. Plus, if you've got a voice like mine (which you don't, apparently, since you DON"T have it) then the vib tends to get out of hand and there's little I can do about it.

Then again, being a near 2nd year HS student, I'm still getting adjusted, so i don't really know.
Blue Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, it can be off putting if it sounds bad. I guess I just want something to make my sustained notes less boring and not just sitting on the note and doing nothing else.
meowmix2479

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want more "color" in your tone, try experimenting with your vowels. You don't want to sound too "bright" or too "dark", if that makes sense. Also, try experimenting with crescendo and decrescendo, that way, the note isn't just plain vanilla. ;P Also, experiment with different genres of music. I, personally have been singing for over 8 years, and had been taking lessons in more of the "classical" and opera genre. I only realized my true talent lay in a different place 2 years ago when I began experimenting with Broadway styles and country. Some people's voices are geared more toward a particular style. Hope I helped!
View members profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Aradith

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:45 pm   Post subject: oh o.o Reply with quote

I see most people have pretty much said what I was going to but yes, with some few people vibrato can be learned but it usually is something that you have or don't, and like that one person put simply everyone has a certain style to which their voice will go its just the whole part of discovering it on your own mine varies which is neat I'll have a genre all my own someday XD. Well good luck sweetie. ^.^
seriana_siera

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a singer for 10 yrs, I have learned a special technique for times that my voice doesn't automatically go into vibrato mode when wanted.

The most simplest technique for this is to just first hold a note that isn't so loud. Now while keeping at the same pitch, strengthen your voice making it louder then softer again. Do this several times being VERY CAREFUL to not lose that same tone/pitch.

Or for an easier way hold a note and nod your head up and down for 10 seconds. You will hear your voice enter the mode of vibrato. Then when you have stopped nodding your head do not let go of the note. Hold it for a few more seconds. Do this every now and then for your vocal cords to get used to. Once vocal cords are used to the swiveling it will automatically do it for you.
View members profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PcolaSinger

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:29 pm   Post subject: Vibrato Reply with quote

As a voice teacher, I'm happy that most of the advice has been on target! Two of the posters near the end are closer to an exercise that can help you 'find' your vibrato. Vibrato is only produced when the production of the sound is totally relaxed and free.

With my students I like to start the lesson (after breathing exercises) with a nice open 'hum' which then opens up even farther to an 'ah'. Say over 10 counts you hum a pitch for the first few counts then let the jaw naturally drop down into a nice 'ah' vowel. Once your comfortable with this, try getting louder and then softer on the 'ah' vowel and I feel your vibrato will appear and strenthen as your 'free' voice develops. This crescendo and decrescendo on a note is called 'messa di voce'. You should strive to use it on every note (even the short ones somewhat) to add 'life' to each note.
jeromemoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:12 pm   Post subject: Hi! :) I hope this will help. Reply with quote

A vibrato should come by the end of a long note. You're not suppose to vibrate each note. Try to develop more strength on your diaphram(how do you spell this? he he).

If you normally vibrate your voice too much dot this. When you get to a long note, vibrate it. At the same time try to tuck your diaphram in (with strength). Your vibrato will not sound fake. Or sk your teacher about it he can help you. And pardon my english. icon_smile.gif
xWerewolfxQueenx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:01 pm   Post subject: vibrato help Reply with quote

well i naturally have vibrato in my voice. but i learned this thing in choir to help your vibrato. what you do is you hold up your are and count with your fingers while breathing out on each breath. you do this for 5,7,9,11, and 13 counts it really does help!

:D
View members profile Send private message AIM Address
Juliasoprano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't EEEVVVVEEERRRRRR force it because you'll regret it later.

I'm 16 I've been singing since I was 12 and I have a lot of natural vibrato but when I started I didn't because before I sang I would get nervous and when you get nervous it makes your vocal folds tighten and vibrato only occurs when you're relaxed. So find a good teacher who doesn't scare the crap out of you and get used to performing in front of an audience, I grew up really shy so that was mostly my problem.

Also try strengthening your diaphragm. My teacher has me takes three really deep breaths in without letting any air out between them, and then letting out as little air as possible but in a constant stream as a hiss. Once you can breathe out for 30-40 seconds, try it on a ooo on any note.
fiyero24601

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thunder,
You might want to try building the not or letting it taper (depending on the mood of the piece and where it is going) If it is a powerful note you want to strike and then build. If it is a very soft piece or very sad, you might want to taper off and let the note get softer as you sustain. Just beware of going flat when you taper, you need to use as much energy, just focus it. Vibrato is not always the best thing to have. People tend to over-use vibrato making a beautiful song operetic and just plain ugly. But it can also be a useful tool in singing.

Good luck and hope I helped,
Bret
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 4 All times are GMT-8:00
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls