Home > Message Boards > Poll Booth >
Would you like the MIDI in MP3 format? Go to page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic

Would you like to download the MIDI in MP3 format?
  Yes!
  No, I don't need it
  No, I already know how
  I have no idea
View Results
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:28 am   Post subject: Would you like the MIDI in MP3 format? Reply with quote

Some computer machine may not have the excellent sound card. Thus, the MIDI may not sound too attractive.

With the MP3 format, you can burn the song to CD or transfer it to your MP3 player. The only draw-back is the MP3 file size. Would you find this feature useful? We might develop this function.

UPDATE: The implementation is easier than I thought. It is basically done. HamieNET is currently converting all 24,000 MIDI, with MIDI having a lower ID number converted first. Please leave a message if you have any suggestion. Once again, any data on HamieNET is available for personal learning only. You may not use it otherwise without proper premission from the copyrights holder.
View members profile Send private message
bloodenator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Cakewalk Music Creator 2003 and it does a good job converting midi to mp3, or wma, or rm, or wav. I prefer wav personally when writing to a CD because it is at 1411 kbps rather than a standard mp3 file at 128 kbps. I know the actual quality isn't too much better (or the size =P), but it makes a difference on occasion. External synthesizers usually have better sound quality than any internal GM tone bank that I know of (In a personal experiment, I tested each of their capabilities).

What synth is Hamienet using to convert the files to mp3? I'd like to know jus for a personal reference. icon_razz.gif

"Do you live your life well, or do you jus' wish you could live?"
-Me
View members profile Send private message MSN Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

HamieNET doesn't really use any synthesizer to convert the MIDI. It uses few pieces of Linux software in an automatic fashion. It would probably never be possible if HamieNET want to convert all 24,000 MIDI manually. I have been thinking about it though. icon_biggrin.gif

The converted MP3 is only at 48kbps but I figure it's good enough (for now).
bloodenator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

48kbps isnt bad, iv seen worse.... and for a midi recording, it should still have all the necessary sounds. oh by the way, I could never get the sound to work on my linux machine, any suggestions?

"Do you live your life well, or do you jus' wish you could live?"
-Me
View members profile Send private message MSN Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about MIDI, it's a bit tricky. Check out this page for some drivers:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-8.html

Also, if you are familiar with APT-GET, it's quite easy to install sound-related software on your computer.
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/packages.html

If you are talking about sound in general, usually it should work when you install Linux. The Alsa Driver is where you could look into if you have general sound problem.
Iceman28408

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is neat...btw, what is the completion level? Can you keep us updated with that? And how long will the entire conversion take?
JBTaylorSr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What about allowing members to post their MIDI files in mp3 format? That way, you can hear what the original programmer meant the song to sound like when he/she made it.
View members profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman28408:
Currently it's at #12365, progressing at about 3000 MIDI a day. So I'm guessing it will take another 5 days or so for completion (if no accident happen.)

JBTaylorSr:
That's not a bad idea at all. Some other members actually mentioned this to me before. My only concern is that people will start submitting commercialized songs (ie. they didn't make it), or songs with actaul human voice/lyrics -- this is a copyright problem. I guess I could still carefully validating them but it will take a bit longer than validating MIDI. I'll keep this idea in mind and see when's the next time I have the opportunity to modify the current system to allow MP3 submission. Thanks for your suggestion.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As JBTaylorSr suggests before, HamieNET now allows MP3 submission along with the original MIDI. So people can hear what the original sequencer meant the song to sound like.

Here's a few hints:
1. Do not submit MP3 that is not made by you.
2. Do not submit MP3 that is not created from the MIDI. Therefore, no human voice should be heard.
3. You have the option to submit the MP3 version but MIDI remains mandatory during submission.
4. MP3 should not exceed 15MB in size.
5. The automatically coverted MP3 (48kpbs) will still be available regardless of the MP3 had been submitted or not.
6. Direct off-site linking is currently allowed (as we have excessive amount of bandwidth). Though a link to HamieNET.com is also appreciated.
7. As a reminder, all resources on HamieNET are for educational purpose only. You may violate the copyrights law if you use it for any other purposes.
Thorpe
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How comes you have a lot of bandwidth? Why can't we have unlimited credits then?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had users who tried to copy the whole site before (including the files).

I believe 200 credits a day is enough for normal usage, don't you think? I could add more but I don't see a point.

Edit: now 300 credits per day for member and 50 for visitor. Only MIDI download requires credit, nothing else (including MP3) uses credit.
Thorpe
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI to MP3 feature is wicked and now I can finally play them on my PSP. Thanks.

Are you considering doing the opposite (MP3 to MIDI) - I know it can be done as there are tools on the Internet. Using a Linux one (if there is) would be good and free. Any thoughts?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I yet haven't seen a "working" version of MP3 to MIDI program in any platform. There are some attempts but they are only good for monophonic music. I'm not saying it's impossible for MP3 to be converted into MIDI but it's just very very hard to do so. If I actually figured it out, it'd have been a PhD paper. icon_wink.gif
monyeoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Midis will still be available along with the mp3s right? I find the small file size quite an advantage.
Thorpe
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the site has plenty of space for MIDI and MP3. They won't get deleted.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT-8:00
Go to page 1, 2  Next