Home > Message Boards > Music Composition >
Composition
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
machiyoi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:31 pm   Post subject: Composition Reply with quote

HOw do musician make music??
View members profile Send private message
han yong
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...they first get an inspiration. Then they add what else they can think of. That's what I do.
jesikhaviolet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

yupps. like said there ^^^^, get inspiration. another way, if you just want a piece rather than a piece with feeling, you can just write a rhythm, and follow it with notes of a scale in any order. then try such things as ornaments, modulations and the ever-so-wonderous word: repition
robin12smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

They sing and/or play their instruments.

How do composers write music? There are many different ways. Some play on an instrument (commonly a piano or a keyboard) and improvise until they hear something that sounds good. Others can hear the music in their head and have enough pitch knowledge to write it down without needing to physically hear it. Some write what they feel like, others write with a goal or mood in mind. Some wait to be inspired, some force themselves to write a bunch of garbage until they find a gem inside, and a lucky few can hear music coming from inside them. Some will match music to their words, some compose music and lyrics at the same time (it's rare for the music to be written before the lyrics, because it's harder to fit sentences to note patterns than vice versa). Most composers are somewhere in between, and do some of each at the same time.
Willow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

robin12smith, in different words, pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.

I know as someone trying to get their foot in the door of the video game music industry, I am asked to write music like one composer or another for these small games here and there. In this sense, some people actually try to imitate the styles of other composers while at the same time bringing their musical talent to the table as well. As robin12smith said, this takes a bit of education and a bit of originality. Some people can come up with melodies on the spot and others must fiddle around with an instrument or play it out in their head. I know that once went a good 2 months with a tune playing around in my head. I know one composer that insists that this sort of "in your head" planning before composing is necessary for "good music" writing- I beg to differ. Again, it takes a little of all of that to "write music."

~ Willow ~
View members profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT-8:00
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls