Home > Message Boards > Instruments >
French Horn vs. English Horn: Let me see your opinions!
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic

French horn or the English horn?..
  French Horn!
  English Horn!
  Who needs either, I have a German Horn!
View Results
Yanama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:26 am   Post subject: French Horn vs. English Horn: Let me see your opinions! Reply with quote

So, fellow HamieNET-ers, tell me, which of these two horns do you prefer to use in your compositions the most; The French horn, or the English horn?

Personally, if I had to choose, I would go with the french horn. Even though I despise most things french, the French Horn has more of a melodic sound to it than other horns, and I find they are easier to put into solos than English Horns.

What about all of you though?
The Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

While it ultimately depends on the piece, I'm partial to the French horn too. Definitely a smoother sound, which is often what I need. Very occasionally I find use for an English horn, but typically it's just too grating. While playing with different sounds I sometimes cease paying attention to what instrument I'm experimenting with and just listen to the sound. I usually jerk uncomfortably when I get to the English horn. It also doesn't help that the general MIDI English horn sounds terrible compared to a real one.
View members profile Send private message
imazi643

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 am   Post subject: French Horns Are Better! :P Reply with quote

I play a french horn, and I love it! It is the hardest instrument to play, but it has the most unique and beautiful sound ever!

Also, the English Horn sounds exactly like an oboe, which is good in desert music, like in Mario desert stages too.
View members profile Send private message Visit posters website
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT-8:00
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls