Home > Message Boards > MIDI Discussion >
New to the forum
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
The Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm   Post subject: New to the forum Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm a newcomer here, and hope to make this at least a new temporary home for MIDI posting. I've previously posted my work on vgmusic.com, youtube (all of which have since been deleted) and ninsheetm.us (that's the new site, though mine were posted before it went down). I've taken a break from much of my arranging, and since I've picked back up in full force I thought I'd share some more.

And to be clear, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong area. I don't mean to criticize the forums with my first post, but it was quite the chore just deciding on this sub-forum as the place to post this. So I apologize if this is the wrong place for such a post. I'd assume a Mod would move it anyway were that the case.

That out of the way, my first couple questions: I've uploaded a few files so far and though I've tried my best to tag and describe them, I'm a bit lost as to how they will be classified. Thus far I've uploaded two MIDIs from the NES game Batman. I classified my upload under "Video Games" but saw no header beyond that. What's the deal? I saw an earlier post that suggested such sub-headers were on their way out and that tags were to replace them. Is that the case? Further clarification would be grateful.

Also, my arrangements are largely based on an amalgam of other people's arranged sheet music and sometimes reverse engineering other people's MIDI's. See, despite being a reasonably accomplished musician, my sense of pitch is terrible. I can play any note you ask of me on an instrument I'm familiar with, and I can create original scores, but if you ask me to identify a note by ear, I fail pretty hard. Still, the MIDIs I create are never copy's of original arrangements. Mostly I use one or two pieces of sheet music to get a base from which to work with the right key, then create my own arrangement from there. Though my own arrangements sound very much my own, I wonder if the community here has a standard on how to credit such authors. In the past, I've always just made a post to give at least partial credit where partial credit is due. Is there any more that need be done around here? I just don't want to post something without at least citing my basis/inspiration.

I guess that's about it. I'll continue uploading songs for everyone and hopefully get a reply with answers. Thanks.
View members profile Send private message
Carlos_Chahin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:41 pm   Post subject: How to submit your midi file Reply with quote

Title: Title of the midi song
Subtitle, Artist, Note: If yours, credit yoursel if not credit the original author
General MIDI (.MID) File file to upload from you computer
Description: A description as long as you want of the midi file you are about to upload
Tags (Keywords Seprated by Space): Some words to help people find your midi on the net Example John Lennon First Album Imagine
Category: If it's yours choose "original compositions" if not find something appropriate
Provided by: Your name
Sequenced by: The name of the midi sequencer
Sequencer's e-mail The emal of the midi sequencer

Submit

done

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really at all the information I was looking for, but at least I finally got a response after a week of waiting. Maybe I won't make this my new home. Still, thanks for responding. You're the only one that bothered. I'll upload a few more and lurk around here to see if things are worth while.
The Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to log in, but if you haven't figured it out, that last response was mine.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT-8:00
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls