Home > Message Boards > Broadway Musical >
Ensemble songs? Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
misterbubbles2004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 am   Post subject: Ensemble songs? Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm a teacher of an advanced musical theatre group. Every year we perform a lot of ensemble numbers for the last 13 years. But i'm running out of inspiration for nice songs that we could perform!

So if you guys got any ideas for nice ensemble songs that we could perform (may also be duets, trios etc, at least 2 voices or up) that would really be of a lot of help. We like to perform more rare songs from all kinds of musicals (so please no standerd suggestions like songs from mamma mia, hair, snf etc).

I hope you will provide a lot of inspiration for me... (and it would be helpfull if there exist sheet music to buy from the song you suggest).

thnx in advance
Marc
View members profile Send private message
nickybennett

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

'One Hand One Heart' - west side story .. ive heard this done in 5 part harmony sounded stunning.
'A New World' - Songs For A New World ... originnaly sang with 4 would work as a group piece also.
'Love Heals' - Rent
'Walking In Space' - Hair
Quaver16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what constitutes "standard", but here are some of my personal favourite ensemble numbers (that also have solo opportunities):

"Lady's Maid" (Titanic), "New Music" (Ragtime) actually there are a number of possibilities from Ragtime. "Facade" and "Murder, Murder" (Jekyll & Hyde). Going back in time, how about "Nobody Thought of It" (The Card), "Pull Yourself Together" (Trelawny), and there's always "Oh! Look At Me" and "Looking for a Piano" from Salad Days!! Also, for fun, how about "It's A Pig" (By Jeeves) also possibly "Loves Maze" from the same show. For singing in parts there's "Bethlehem"/"The Holy Fight" (Martin Guerre)

There are lots of Sondheim numbers (if these are not too obvious): "Please, Hello" (Pacific Overtures), "Another National Anthem" and "Everybody's Got the Right" (Assassins), "Sunday" (Sunday in the Park with George), "A Weekend in the Country" (A Little Night Music), "Side by Side by Side/What Would We Do Without You" (Company), The Prologue and "Happy Ever After" (Into the Woods), "It's a Hit" and "Our Time" (Merrily We Roll Along) could also work.

I don't know what sort of things you've done in the past and if you've got a theme as there are loads of possibilities, but I hope there's something here that's helpful.
aldur2003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try:
"Too Darn Hot" Kiss me Kate
"Skid Row" or "Don't Feed the Plants" Little Shop
"Tradition" from Fiddler (Standard sorry!)
"Rumor" also from Fiddler
"Sucks to Be me" Avenue Q
"For now" Avenue Q
"Hard knock life" Annie
"Oklahoma" Oklahoma
"Hello Dolly" Hello Dolly
"Elegance" Hello Dolly
"Opening for a Princess" Once Upon a Mattress
"Phantom of the Opera" Medley that everyone does.

Just a few to get you started. Good luck.
seuss101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do What you Own from RENT or And the Gods heard her prayer from Once on this Island
gypsygirlac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon musicals to check out: Carnival, Parade, 1st edition Jekyll and Hyde, Whistle Down the Wind, She Loves Me.

Many have great songs and my voice teachers suggest these musicals when auditioning, because of their lack of play.
View members profile Send private message MSN Messenger
arcrion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon Dm - John Palchabel ?
Ride of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner ?
geust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do 'one day more' from 'Les Miserables'
thats a good one icon_biggrin.gif
dreamcoat12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do Bless the Lord from Godspell or something from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
View members profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Juliasoprano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A New World from Songs for a New World works really well. Just use the one from the piano/vocals and if you want to use more then 4 people just divide up the lines. Anything from the show is really good and there are a few ensemble things in there.
i_defy_gravity_1012
Regular

Location: Living in America, at the end of the millenium...you're what you own!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

some weird/unconventional/new stuff...
"straight to heaven"-zanna don't
"there you are"-the mystery of edwin drood (been a while since i saw it so i'm not sure how plot-specific this is. could be a great opener!)
"no good can come from bad"-the mystery of edwin drood (pretty plot-specific but could still be cool for a smaller group (7 or so))
"it's your wedding day"-the wedding singer (again, very much about the plot, but it's got some cool harmonies)
"christmas"-tommy (some very cool but decently simple harmonies)
"finale"-tommy (again, AMAZING harmonies)

and some semi-classics...
"without love"-hairspray (you could clean it up some)
"the baseball game"-you're a good man charlie brown (a good point to feature a soloist)
"oh, the thinks you can think"-seussical (again, a good one with a soloist, or you could break up the solo lines or sing them in unison)
"everything's alright"-jesus christ superstar (basically a 2-guy 1-girl trio with some ensemble backing)
goodbyelove525

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mama Who Bore Me (Reprise)is an amazing song for five girls. It has awesome harmonies.
ross4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The musical Closer than ever has some excellent songs and i have rarely heard it done also Witches of eastwick has some lovely trios. Children of eden also has some great songs with teriffic harmonys.
bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

turkey!!!!
movine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:02 am   Post subject: song Reply with quote

could someone do the flower pot men for me lets go to sanfrnasico love movine
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 6 All times are GMT-8:00
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls