Home > Message Boards > General Discussion >
Male singer needs lots and lots of help
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
lee202

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:52 am   Post subject: Male singer needs lots and lots of help Reply with quote

Hi my name's Lee and i THINK i am a low bass, but i don't think my singing teacher has been teaching me valid ways to increase my vocal range. i dont know what category i fit into, but i can hit a d above middle see, maybe e flat, and then the e below the e below middle c if tht makes sense. can anyone one help me with vocal range exercises so that i can increase it because it is really annoying and songs for my voice, thank you
View members profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Juliasoprano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what is your voice teacher doing to increase your range? They should be teaching you how to isolate all the parts of your body that produce sound (your head nose and chest) so that you can eventually mix them.

Its very likely that you are a low base and that's just your voice part and you just have to accept it and find roles that fit your voice. There are plenty of bass roles out there. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass-baritone )I felt similarly in kind of the opposite way (if that makes sense) because I am a high operatic soprano, and low alto belters are a lot more popular in theatre and pop right now. Some times things just are the way they are.

It also depends how old you are, I started when I was 13 and I couldn't hit anything below middle C and I just turned 16 and I can go an octave below middle C. It might just be that what your teacher does is working and you just haven't seen the results yet, or your voice is still maturing. (This is especially likely since you are a guy)

But mostly just reply with what your teacher is doing because some teachers really do suck. icon_lol.gif
View members profile Send private message

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my teacher isn't doing a lot of things with me. I do scales and odd little movement like arpeggioes up and down, but nothing much more than that. I don't go into falsetto at all (in case that says anything) and apart from that we only sing songs. i also think my pitching is off as that has been said a few times but i don't know how to fix that and the teacher isn't helping. I don't know what to do
Juliasoprano

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...you DEFINITELY need a new teacher.

The thing about teaching voice privately is that you don't have to have a degree to do it. So it's good if you can get someone who is also directs a choir, they know what they're doing or ask if they have a degree in vocal performance, and where it's from.

Goodluck!
midimaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:40 am   Post subject: FURTHER Reply with quote

If I were you - and this is something I've always TAUGHT voice students - DO NOT TRY to define what you are. It is what it is and the most you can do is say that while you might be a bass, you have a range that could effectively exceed the NORMAL range for a bass singer. For instance, a friend of mine was a baritone, a full, rich, resonant baritone. But he could sing high C's easily - he was that good a singer and had complete command of his voice. While you may be a bass, by defining yourself as that or having a teacher describe to you what you are, both you and/or they are limiting what you MIGHT be vocally capable of doing. It's more about what you CAN do well and what is MOST USEFUL in the range of your voice. Another for instance, TENORS have the shortest vocal range of all singers. I'm a tenor - or was a top tenor until I got old!! BUT 15 notes maximum for a top tenor. Well I have nearly a THREE OCTAVE range - which is a bit unheard of for a tenor voice. So it's more about what you CAN do and what you're capable of with training and exercise with just a HINT of stretching the limits without damaging the voice - to see what you can do that defines you vocally. Who knows you could be a solid baritone with a wide range. WHY classify yourself as a bass whose range goes from this note to that and no more (as some teachers will say). I prefer not classifying my students - rather work with them to simply develop whatever it is they have and whatever is the MOST stable and useful in a performance situation. Just because you can sing a high C in the practice room, certainly doesn't mean you should sing it in performance either. It's whatever is the MOST USEFUL and STABLE in your voice is your workable range.

TonyDi
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT-8:00
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls