Home > Message Boards > General Discussion >
Singing - Clear up my vocal chords
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
georgiablueboy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:05 am   Post subject: Singing - Clear up my vocal chords Reply with quote

My vocal chords feel like they are covered in mucus or pollen or something. Is there something that you can drink (or do) to clear up your vocal chords?

Thanks a lot!
View members profile Send private message

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sanderson's Specific Throat Mixture. It's very hard to get hold of though so you'll need to ask your pharmacy to order it for you! I swear by it, it's amazing even as a precaution!!
magickdiva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:51 pm   Post subject: Singing - mucous problem Reply with quote

Firstly, gargle with a salt solution - 1/2 a teaspoon in a glass of luke warm water to rid all the excess junk from your throat.
Then: A teaspoon of Glycerine 3 x a day is brilliant for your vocal chords. It ensures that nothing sticks to your vocal chords and clears up anything that is there. I use it on stage when I get into a sticky situation -and it works like a charm!
meowmix2479

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tip that sounds gross, but has helped me SO much. You'll actually get used to it after awhile. Take a bottle of water and put about a teaspoon of lemon juice in it. Then shake it up. The citric acid will help clear your vocal chords without damaging them. The amount of lemon juice isn't really set, just dilute it until you think it's enough. Also, if you drink it even when you feel well, it helps (somewhat) to prevent this problem. It's a pretty cheap solution and works pretty well. Also, avoid dairy products before a concert or performance, because they tend to clog you up sinus-wise. ; P Hope this helps!
View members profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Juliasoprano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to breathe in steam, I have a thing that does it, http://www.amazon.com/Conair-MDF2R-Facial-Sauna-Timer/dp/B00005A9WP/ref=sr_1_1/103-8387913-4729402?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1183493469&sr=1-1 it works really well.

Also make sure you take Sudafed, you might be congested without knowing it and it could be dripping down your throat into your chest. AND make sure you warm up before you sing EVERY TIME!!
midimaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 am   Post subject: QUIT SMOKING!!! Reply with quote

HAHA!! JUST KIDDING. You didn't say if you do or not. But that's a killer. Tough on the voice. FIRST OF ALL DO NOT use anything that is citrus or acid based. The key to having a clear voice is keeping whatever is causing your problem - minimized as much as possible. Lemon Juice, and any other citrus based stuff is going to do NOTHING but dry out the mucous membranes in your throat. For your voice to work and your throat to remain properly functioning you need to have the naturally occurring mucous (translated LUBRICANTS) that line the throat and citrus dries this out and can do more damage than good. Singing COMFORTABLY will naturally CLEAR the throat in most cases BUT if it persists, then perhaps it's an allergy to something that's creating the problem. I recommend you seek out a good allergist and find out through that battery of tests, just what MIGHT be causing the problem. If an allergist can't come up with anything then see an otolaryngologist (throat doctor) who CAN determine what the problem might be and work with him or her to alleviate, reduce, minimize and/or eliminate the problem. ALL these "remedies" are bull crap and always have been. THE BEST thing to do when singing is to simply drink room temperature to slightly tepid water only in order to effectively lubricate the throat and keep it moist - something that the lemon/honey mixtures or "other" miracle cures supposedly do - including lozenges which have sugar or other additives that COAT the throat and give you a false sense of feeling in the throat. ALL these homegrown cures are bogus. Those who tout them and say "Oh this works like a charm for me" - are doing more harm than good whether they know it or not. So it works for them!! WOOHOO!!! LUCKY for them - and I DO mean LUCK!! Do it right. If you have excess phlegm (I always have too) see an allergist or throat doctor. BEST way in my book. PLUS singing lightly to "warm up the voice" will help to effectively loosen the garbage in the throat too - but it has to be done in a very relaxed, safe and sensible manner otherwise you shoot yourself in the foot trying.

TonyDi
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT-8:00
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You can vote in polls